LUXAPOOL® POOLSIDE & PAVING – Application Guide for TIMBER SURFACES
LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving is a water-based, decorative, P5 rated non-slip coating developed for use on swimming pool surrounds and decks. It is easy to apply and provides a durable surface suitable for use on pebblecrete, concrete, paved and timber surrounds as well as other trafficable areas such as pathways, disability ramps, outdoor living areas and boat decks. LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving is formulated to provide long lasting resistance to UV, mould and fungal attack. It is a single pack product supplied ready for use from the container. Stirring prior to application is recommended to overcome any settling.
UNPAINTED TIMBER SURFACES
- Ensure that all surfaces to be painted are sound and free from dust, oil, grease or other contamination. Poolside areas should first be washed with LUXAPOOL® Concentrated Wash solution (500 mL dilution into 20 L of warm water). Use a stiff bristle brush or broom to scrub the surfaces then flush with fresh water. Follow this with a high-pressure water wash to ensure that the surface is thoroughly clean.
- Allow the surface to dry, then sand the entire surface followed by sweeping or vacuuming any loose residues prior to application of primer.
PREVIOUSLY PAINTED TIMBER SURFACES
- If the surface has been previously painted with a water-based and it is in sound condition, then there is no need to apply primer. LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving can be directly applied after cleaning the surface as set out below. If unsure of the existing paint on the surface and/or how to prepare, then please contact Colormaker Industries.
- Ensure that all surfaces are free from dust, oil, grease or other contamination. Poolside areas should first be washed with LUXAPOOL® Concentrated Wash solution
(500 mL dilution into 20 L of warm water). Use a stiff bristle brush or broom to scrub the surfaces, then flush with fresh water.
NOTE: Obtain a 7-day weather forecast. Do NOT apply LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving:
- If the ambient temperature is below 15 °C,
- If the surface temperature is below 12 °C,
- If minimum overnight temperatures are forecast to be below 10 °C with 7 days of application, or
- In damp or rainy conditions, or when rain is forecast within 7 days of application.
All personnel participating in application must use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent contact with skin, eyes and breathing of vapours. A sun hat and sunscreen are also recommended if applying outdoors.
Fine cracks may be filled with primer and the initial application of LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving. All visible cracks and holes exceeding 2 mm must be repaired using wood putty. Fill proud, allow to dry as per manufacturers instructions, then sand flush before priming.
Mask along the border lines or other perimeter of the area(s) to be coated. Take precautions to protect pool water surfaces as far as possible.
PRIMER FOR TIMBER SURFACES
Prior to applying LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving, unpainted timber surfaces will require priming.
To a thoroughly clean dry surface*, apply COLORMAKERTM Pink Wood Primer at
12–14 m2/L, using a 10 mm nap roller or 22 mm nap roller for rough surfaces. Allow it to dry for 4 days prior to application of LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving. Clean equipment whilst still wet using Mineral Turpentine.
*For best results, use a moisture meter to test surface moisture levels prior to application. Moisture content should be less than 5%. High moisture content can cause failure of the primer. In the absence of a moisture meter, approximate surface moisture can be determined by taping a 300 x 300 mm patch of clear plastic sheet to an area of the surface in the morning one day prior to painting. Remove the plastic around mid-afternoon and observe the underside. Condensation on the plastic indicates that the moisture content is too high. In these instances, leave it to dry for couple of days more then repeat test.
|Unless familiar with LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving, it is recommended that a small test area be applied first, before proceeding to application over the complete area.|
- Apply a base coat of LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving at a spreading rate of approximately 2 m2/L using a 10 mm nap roller. The function of the base coat is to fill any imperfections of the surface, as opposed to leaving an even film thickness on the top of both the hills and valleys of the profile. Clean all equipment immediately after use with water.
- Allow to dry for minimum 8 hours at 25 °C and 50% RH, or preferably overnight.
Allow longer drying time in cooler and more humid conditions.
|Drying temperature:||15 °C||25 °C||35 °C|
|Minimum recoat time:||12 hrs||8 hrs||6 hrs|
|Maximum recoat time*:||Open ended||Open ended||Open ended|
*Best within 48 hours to minimise impact of airborne and other contaminants
- If a smoother surface is required, then steps 1 & 2 above may be repeated.
- Apply the first build coat of LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving at a spreading rate of approximately 2 m²/L using a 10 mm nap roller. To achieve a P5 rated non-slip surface, it is recommended that build coats be applied with a 10 mm nap roller.
Clean all equipment immediately after use with water.
- Allow to dry for minimum 8 hours at 25 °C and 50% RH, or preferably overnight. Allow longer drying time in cooler and more humid conditions.
|Refer to Colormaker Industries for application details to achieve a
more aggressive surface texture for commercial or industrial areas.
- As a finishing option, apply a final coat of UNICRYL® HD Clear Glaze. This will enhance colour and gloss, provide increased resistance to staining and facilitate cleaning. However, use of this coating will also reduce anti-slip properties.
Apply UNICRYL® HD Clear Glaze using a 10 mm nap roller and ensure that the surface of the underlying profile has been thoroughly wet. Application rate will be approximately 6 m²/L, depending on surface profile. Clean all equipment immediately after use with water.
- Allow coated surfaces to dry for a minimum of 12 hours before opening areas to soft sole pedestrian foot traffic. Full cure can be achieved in 7 days under good (25 °C, 50% RH) drying conditions. Allow longer in cooler and/or more humid conditions.
Allow 7-14 days under good drying conditions (25 °C, 50% RH) to cure before placing outdoor furniture on the coated surface. Exercise caution.
Clean all equipment with water immediately after use and whilst still wet.
Surfaces coated in accordance with the above directions offers long-term use under typical domestic conditions. Follow basic cleaning guidelines to maximise the service life of the coating. Clean all spills as soon as they occur. Surfaces should be cleaned with a fine jet garden hose or soft bristle broom using mild detergent solution, then rinse with fresh water.
With appropriate care, you’ll be able to enjoy the long term decorative and functional benefits of your LUXAPOOL® Poolside & Paving surface for years to come.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY: The technical advice and/or application advice given in this publication represents the present state of our knowledge and is believed to be reliable. Buyers and intended users of all Colormaker Industries products should read the product label, TDS and Application Guide carefully and then conduct their own assessment to confirm the suitability of the product, including in conjunction with other products and the types of surfaces to, and the manner in, which the product will be applied. This is to satisfy themselves that the product is suitable for use in the area intended and under conditions of application and cure. Given the wide range of substrates, environmental conditions and methods of application, Colormaker Industries offers no warranty of performance, either expressed or implied based on the above information. The painter, contractor or applicator of Colormaker Industries products may reject the advice given by Colormaker Industries either orally or in writing as it is their responsibility not that of Colormaker Industries, for carrying out appropriate application within any given context.
LUXAPOOL®, ACRYLMERIC® and UNICRYL® are registered trademarks.
© Colormaker Industries 2021 VERSION: v210702